How do I generate a CSR using Microsoft Small Business Server 2011?Resolution
This knowledge base article explains the process for creating a certificate signing request on Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 through the console.
- Open up the Windows Small Business Server console.
- Click on the Network section at the top and then select the Connectivity tab.
- Underneath Connectivity Tasks on the right-hand side, click on Add a trusted certificate.
- The Add a Trusted Certificate wizard will appear. Click on the Next button.
- On the Get a Certificate page, select I want to buy a certificate from a certificate provider and then click on the Next button.
- On the Verify the information for your trusted certificate page, input the information as follows:
Issued to: This will be the Common Name on the certificate. The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like “secure.example.com” or “example.com”.
Organization: The legal name of your organization.
Country: Use the two-letter code of your country without punctuation, for example: BM or UK or CH.
State / Province: Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the parish, state or province name, for example: Pembroke or Connecticut.
City: The city field is the city or town name, for example: Hamilton or Stamford.
- Once you have done this, click on the Next button.
- Your CSR will be generated and presented on the Generate a certificate request screen. You can either click on Save to File to save the CSR to a separate file for later use or you can click on Copy to copy the CSR to your clipboard.
Suggestion: It is recommended to click on Save to File. This way you have a copy of the CSR if something where to happen to your clipboard. It also may be difficult to time having Trust/Link open during this step as you have a limited amount of time to submit the CSR request in the SSL Subscriber portal.
- Click on the Next button.
- On the A request is in progress... screen, select My certificate provider needs more time to process the request and click on the Next button.
- On the next page, click on the Finish button.
- If you haven't done so already, submit the CSR to the SSL Subscriber portal in Trust/Link.