How do I install a Digital Certificate onto Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7?
There are a number of ways to open the certificate file. If you have the .pfx or .p12 file on your desktop, you can double-click on it as an icon. If you download it from a web application, then most times you have the option to open it as a file before downloading. You can also right-click the file and choose open. Once you have opened the certificate file in one of the ways mentioned, you will bring up the Certificate Import Wizard.
The default program that will open the certificate file should be the Crypto Shell Extensions
- When the Certificate Import Wizard starts, you will see the Welcome Screen (seen below). At this screen, you can click on Next.
- Next you will brought to the File to Import screen. By default, the Import Wizard has already selected the location of the file that you are going to install. Click on Next.
- At the next screen, you will be required to enter in your password for the certificate. If you do not know what your password is to your QuoVadis certificate, please contact QuoVadis Support.
- After entering in your password, you will see that you have two/three check-boxes (this depends on the version of Microsoft Windows that you have). Some of these are optional, however you may want to check them depending on if you would like any additional features and security. Please refer to the points below to see what each do:
- Enable strong private key protection - If you check this then every time you try to access your certificate, you will be prompted for a password that is set by you.
- Mark this key as exportable - This will allow you to export your certificate later into a .pfx file. This is useful if you need to copy your certificate onto another computer.
- Include all extended properties - This option only appears in Windows Vista and Windows 7. This option is also selected by default. You should leave this option checked.
After you have selected your options and you have entered in the password, click on Next.
- The next screen will be the Certificate Store selection screen. As you are installing a .p12 or .pfx file, you can leave the default as Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate. Click on Next.
- At the next screen, you will receive a summary of some of the options that you have chosen. When you are ready, click on Finish at the bottom.
- You will then receive a small window that confirms the installation of the certificate. Click OK.