How to generate a CSR on cPanel?
In the first part of this article, you will be guided through creating a private key. After the private key has been created and saved on cPanel, you will then create your CSR. You must create a private key before you can create a CSR on cPanel.
- Login to the control panel of cPanel.
- Click on SSL/TLS Manager.
- Click on the Generate, view, upload, or delete your private keys link.
A new page will load.
- On the new page, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Generate a New Key section. In the Host field, enter in the domain you would like to create an SSL Certificate. You can also select the domain from the Select a Domain drop down menu list. This will be the Common Name on the certificate. The Common Name is
the Host + Domain Name. It looks like “secure.example.com” or
- After you have entered in the Host, then click the Generate button.
A private key will be created and saved in cPanel.
- Click on the Return to SSL Manager link.
- Back in the SSL/TLS Manager menu, click on the Generate, view, or delete SSL certificate signing requests link.
- In the Generate a New Certificate Signing Request section, populate each field referring to our guide below:
Host - Enter in the domain that was used when generating the private key in Step 4 of this tutorial.
Country - Use the two-letter code of your country without punctuation, for example: BM or UK or CH.
State - Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the parish, state or province name, for example: Pembroke or Connecticut.
City - The locality field is the city or town name, for example: Hamilton or Stamford.
Company - The legal name of your organization.
Company Division - This optional field is the name of the department or other group making the request.
Email - An email address that will be included in the certificate.
Pass Phrase - Create a password that will be used later to install the certificate.
- Once you have entered in criteria into every field, click on the Generate button to create the CSR.
The CSR you just specified will be shown in the window.
- Highlight the entire CSR and submit it to QuoVadis.